This is a print based on the youth rebellion during 1960s Japan by Hokada Yoshida (1927-1995). Japanese student movements began during the TaishÅ Democracy (the period right after the Meji Period), and turned into activity after World War II.
Hokada’s father and mother were both leading artists in Tokyo in oils, watercolors, and woodblock prints. Hodaka's older brother became the heir to the Yoshida Studio, and worked in oils and woodblock prints (the Yoshida family is a famous family of artists). At end of the Second World War, he defied his father by becoming an artist and focused on the style abstraction which his father despised the most.
This photo shows an abstract view of a village. The village
is being entrapped by different size stones. There appears to be four pillar
stones on the very outside. I think that these pillars maybe the Four Pillars of Destiny which describes
the four components creating a person's destiny or fate.
There are also twelve smaller rocks that could be the Earthly Branches which
give a system for computing time.
The condition of this print is satisfactory. The lines are dull and sharp, and the colors both fit and go outside of the lines. The colors are dull because they have faded somewhat. There are no creases, stains, and unintentional stray marks.
This print ultimately depicts the attempt of containment of the youth by the older generations. This print also tells of the artist’s life by defying what his father and family wants him to be.

hey I thought this was really well done. I'm not very good with abstract stuff and I could not see myself finding a village in that picture but it absolutely made sensed along with the rest of your analysis. I also like the background info you gave to
ReplyDeleteHey, great job man. This is definitely not an easy image to unbox and I thought you did a great job. The "shell" info you gave us was very affirming for your analysis, and helped to give (what looks like a series of dark colors) some factual rooting. Thanks, man!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments
ReplyDelete